Thursday, January 6, 2011



Barefoot Contessa Turkey Meatloaf

So I lied... I am now writing about my attempts at cooking. No, I am no Pioneer Woman but what the hell. I never dreamed I would like to cook as much as I do; it is my zen time. But, can I cook? Hmm, it's too early to tell. At least the recipes I follow are easy and use minimal, easy-to-find ingredients. Cooking more has been a new years resolution every year for at least 5 years and until now has been a MAJOR failure. But alas, it is January sixth and I have cooked absolutely everything I have put in my mouth (wheat bread aside) since the 2nd (the 1st, of course never counts whilst in recovery from the previous night's gluttony). I LOVE to eat but just never made the time to cook... Until this week. Dear God, hope I am decent, still waiting to taste the loaf...

Ok, so this recipe is really easy and I cut it in half, it typically serves 8-10 and I am a one. So this is for 4-5 servings:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions or one onion
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (b/c Ina always uses thyme)
  • little less than a 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
  • little less than 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 3/4 teaspoon tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 lbs ground turkey breast
  • 3/4 cup plain, dry breadcrumbs
  • 2 regular size eggs beaten
  • little less than 1/2 cup ketchup

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F, the full portion recipe calls for 1 1/2 hours so try cooking for 50 minutes and check the temp. (A pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.






No comments: