Sunday, March 2, 2014

Garlic and Pecorino Croutons



Wow-wee.  It's been an eternity since my last post. But now that I am in my new kitchen, I'm hoping to be a bit more consistent in updating my blog.  For this my first time back in months, I didn't want to be overly ambitious but rather post a simple recipe. These croutons could not be easier to make not to mention a salad show-stopper. Salads are salads, but throw these crunchy little morsels of goodness in there and that salad will be elevated to a whole different dimension. And combined with the vinaigrette from My Fathers Daughter I posted a while back entitled: The Poor Girl's Seafood Salad (http://pjennieeats.blogspot.com/2013/02/poor-girls-seafood-cobb-ala-gwyneth.html)
it is THAT good. I use Trader Joe's butter lettuce mix, some gorgeous organic tomatoes, one avocado diced and these little bad boys and a simple salad became a dinner highlight. Here's the recipe:

  • 1 day old baguette
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 3/4 cup finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher or sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine the EVOO and garlic in one small bowl and allow to sit as long as it can as to infuse the garlic into the oil. Cut baguette into 1" squares and place into a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, salt and pepper to bread mix. Then strain the EVOO/ garlic mix over the bread  making sure to get every last drop of garlic onto the bread and evenly distributed. Toss until the bread is coated with oil. Pour bread mixture onto baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and re-mix the croutons as the ones on the outer edge will cook more quickly. Cook an additional 15 minutes and then remove from oven once again and add the last 1/4 cup of cheese. Cook for a final 15 minutes until crunchy and golden. Your house will smell unbelievably good and your guests and salad will thank you. Enjoy!


No comments: