Tuesday, June 7, 2011

 

BP Oysterette

 
Each trip to New York City begins with a visit to Pearl Oyster Bar, the seafood mecca nestled in the heart of the West Village.  Their lobster rolls are the perfect ratio of lobster meat to mayo to roll. The decor could not be more authentically east coast with the ship-like lanterns adorning the walls. It is the exact sort of place LA has always been missing. That is until BP Oysterette came along.  BP stands for Blue Plate, their flagship restaurant up on Montana Avenue.  Blue Plate is known for their local, healthy fare.  Patrons line the streets every Saturday and Sunday morning waiting to sink their mouths into "healthy comfort food."  L.A. is one of the most diverse food cities in the nation but why never a New England lobster shack?  BP heeded the call and readily stepped up to the task. 

I have not tried as many menu items as I would like to prior to writing any sort of blog entry but because I have gone so often and ordered pretty much the same thing with such consistent execution, I think it fair to expound.  Evey time I go, I simply have to order their muscles in red curry sauce.  The muscles are the best I have had in LA.  They even surpass those I have had at Bouchon.  They are so mild and not the least bit tough.  The red curry is best enjoyed by soaking big chunks of their sour dough bread into.  In fact, I often just use a spoon. This is a great way to start your meal.  Another menu highlight is the lobster mac and cheese which is unabashedly rich.  The amount of cheese they use should be illegal.  As good as it is, I am always searching for the chunks of lobster meat, which I'd rather wait for with my lobster roll. I would hate to fill up before getting to my lobster roll prize.

My typical order for two would be splitting the muscles and then sharing a lobster roll.  When you split their roll, they will serve you with your own basket of homemade sweet potato chips.  Since the lobster roll is made with mayo, like all good lobster rolls are, it is quite filling.  The muscles, bread, chips and lobster roll are more than enough food.  And you can always toss in some fresh oysters on the half shell...


The lobster rolls have nice sized chunks of lobster meat and mixed with the perfect mayo based dressing, not too heavy nor too sweet (see the lobster to mayo debate: http://blueplatesantamonica.com/2009/11/05/the-lobster-roll-debate-the-mayo-factor/) .  The roll is lightly grilled and really let's the lobster meat shine.  It is best paired with Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc or, my favorite and a bit more expensive, the Indaba Chardonnay.  It's a beautiful, buttery chardonnay from South Africa.  I even took a picture on one visit as to remember it by. 


BP Oystertte doesn't take reservations and it has proven very difficult to get in with a party over four. In fact, they have been downright rude at my asking.  I have found it best to go on a weekend afternoon and not at prime lunch time.  Sundays at four or five pm are really ideal.  This is a place to go and really take your time and enjoy the wine, multiple courses and atmosphere.  You will feel like you have boarded a plane and landed in the heart of the east coast.  Only you are mere miles from home if you live on the west side. http://blueplatesantamonica.com/bpo/home/


No comments: