Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Roasted Asparagus

 
Asparagus is so good for you.  I like to keep roasted asparagus in my fridge at all times to snack on.  I'm always looking for the best way to prepare it and although my mother swears by steaming it, I like to roast it with some good EVOO, Maldon salt (or sea salt) and some cracked pepper.  If you want added crunch and flavor then toss on some bread crumbs.  Here is the recipe, it could not be more simple than this:

Ingredients (serves two):
  • 1 bunch of organic asparagus
  • Extra Virgin olive oil
  • Maldon or sea salt
  • cracked pepper
  • bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place the cleaned and stemmed asparagus in one layer on on cookie sheet and drizzle with EVOO, don't be afraid to use several tablespoons.  Sprinkle generously with salt and add some cracked pepper.  If you like that extra crunch then you can also sprinkle some bread crumbs on top.  If you are using thin spears, roast them for 8 minutes, if they are the fatter spears I typically cook them for ten minutes.  You can serve them hot out of the oven or you can even prepare them a day before a dinner party, simply reheat for several minutes at the same heat.  I have also written about my love of eggs.  If you want to make a complete meal out of this you can fry two eggs and place on top of the cooked asparagus.  It is divine and also very healthy. 

No comments: