Tuesday, November 14, 2017

California Taco Salad Bowl



How much do I love Mexican food? A LOT. And there isn't a protein much easier to whip up than this. A friend had me over for lunch last week and threw this salad together in what seemed like no time and without much effort which is a great thing when you have a busy 4 year old. What I like about this protein is that it's really versatile. I'm really into "bowls" these days and putting the turkey mixture atop some greens is a really calorie cutting alternative. But you can just as easily make some tasty tacos as well. I figure with my serious bread habit, I get enough carbs. The entire process takes about 20 minutes of prep time which includes the chopping. And I like to simply use salsa as my dressing. The meat is so flavorful alone that you really don't need any additional oils. And because I am a fan of some serious heat, I like to throw in a bit of cayenne into the mix as well. Additionally, Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and a much healthier alternative. Adding some avocado for some healthy fat is always a good thing too. Here is the recipe:

  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 2 TBSP EVOO
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 bag taco seasoning (TJ's or any grocery store will carry)
  • chopped lettuce
  • salsa for dressing
  • Greek yogurt for topping

Heat the EVOO over medium high heat and add the diced onions and peppers, add a bit of salt and cook for about five minutes. Add the turkey meat and taco seasoning and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir often to ensure the meat gets evenly cooked. Add a dash of cayenne pepper while the meat is cooking if you like some heat. Then the fun starts and you get to create your bowl. Add some cilantro, more onions, avo or anything you like. Or toss the meat into a tortilla. It's super simple and serves about six. 







No comments: