Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Grilled Flank Steak


This summer has meant having friends over to the pool and grilling it up and this flank steak recipe is the easiest thing I have cooked all summer which makes it a great option when entertaining. And let me start by saying how rarely I eat red meat. Every few months I'll indulge in a great burger or a fillet and because flank steak is so lean, I thought it would be fun protein to try out and I've now prepared it three times. What makes this cut of meat so ideal for grilling is that because it's so thin, it takes only a few minutes to cook. There are numerous different marinades you can use but the one I am including is totally delicious and super easy. I cut 1/4 inch slices about an inch apart across the grain and on both sides to let the marinade permeate the meat. I like to marinade the steak for at least two hours before grilling and if I'm really prepared, overnight. Here's the recipe:
  • 1 lb. flank steak (I get mine at TJ's and it's very affordable)
  • 1/3 C EVOO
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (the healthiest vinegar option)
  • 1/3 C soy sauce
  • 1/4 honey or maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
First mix together all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and pierce the steak. Place the meat in the marinade and make sure the meat is fully coated. Then pour the entire mixture and meat into a ziplock bag and marinate from two hours to overnight. 

To grill: Set the grill to high heat on one side and low on the other - should take about 15-20 minutes to pre-heat. After the grill is heated, remove the meat from the ziplock bag and place on the hot part part of the grill and sear it for about a minute or two on each side. Next move it over to the cooler side of the grill and cook covered for another few minutes to your preferred wellness. Because the meat is so lean, it can get tough if cooked too well so I suggest cooking to a nice medium rare. Let the meat rest for about 10 minutes and then with a good sharp knife, slice the steak thinly across the grain. I like to serve with garlic bread and a nice salad. 

No comments: