Thursday, October 26, 2017

La Super-Rica, Santa Barbara


This is one of two dishes I actually have dreams about and it could very well kill me one day but because I don't get to go to La Super-Rica as often as I'd like, I think I might live a bit longer... This is a pot of melted cheese, red sauce and chorizo. I like to order a bowl of grilled veggies as well and then make soft tacos with their homemade corn tortillas. You can definitely eat on the "cleaner" side as well. All of their grilled meats are fabulous and be sure to check out their daily specials.

Julia Childs called Superica, as we SB natives call it, her favorite Mexican food spot. And having grown up in Santa Barbara and being exposed to a lot of great Mexican food, it's mine too -- not that I come close to having the palate or cooking skills of JC. It's a funky little shack on Milpas Street with plastic subbing in for windows and patio seating with white plastic chairs. It's minimalistic at best but nothing will stop the hordes of people from popping by no matter what the time of day. And you will wait a while. But you will meet people in line who will tell you exactly what to order. And they will all be right because everything is excellent. It's a family run business with Martin taking orders up at the front most days. If Anthony Bourdain were ever to do a show on SB, I know La Super-Rica would be his first stop and he would love it.

La Super-Rica Taqueria
622 N. Milpas St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93103


No comments: